Fall 2018 eNewsletter
Anderson, E.J., A. Fujisaki-Manome, J. Kessler, G.A. Lang, P.Y. Chu, J.G. Kelley, Y. Chen and J. Wang. 2018. Ice Forecasting in the Next-Generation Great Lakes Operational Forecast System (GLOFS). Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. (DOI:10.3390/jmse6040123).
Biddanda, B.A., A.D. Weinke, S.T. Kendall, L.C. Gereaux, T.M. Holcomb, M.J. Snider, D.K. Dila, S.A. Long, C. VandenBerg, K. Knapp, D.J. Koopmans, K. Thompson, J.H. Vail, M.E. Ogdahl, Q. Liu, T.H. Johengen, E.J. Anderson and S.A. Ruberg. 2017. Chronicles of hypoxia: Time-series buoy observations reveal annually recurring seasonal basin-wide hypoxia in Muskegon Lake – A Great Lakes estuary. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2017.12.008).
Butts, E. and H.J. Carrick. 2017. Phytoplankton seasonality along a gradient of temperate lakes: Convergence in taxonomic composition during winter ice-cover. Northeastern Naturalist. (DOI:10.1656/045.024.s719).
Cable, R.N., D. Beletsky, R. Beletsky, B.W. Locke, K. Wigginton and M.B. Duhaime. 2017. Distribution and modeled transport of plastic pollution in the Great Lakes, the world’s largest freshwater resource. Frontiers in Environmental Science. (DOI:10.3389/fenvs.2017.00045).
Carrick, H.J., E. Cafferty, A. Ilacqua, S.A. Pothoven and G.L. Fahnenstiel. 2017. Seasonal Abundance, Biomass and Morphological Diversity of Picoplankton in Lake Superior: Importance of Water Column Mixing. International Journal of Hydrology. (DOI:10.15406/ijh.2017.01.00034).
Chaffin, J.D., T.W. Davis, D.J. Smith, M.M. Baer and G.J. Dick. 2018. Interactions between nitrogen form, loading rate, and light intensity on Microcystis and Planktothrix growth and microcystin production. Harmful Algae. (DOI:10.1016/j.hal.2018.02.001).
Charusombat, U., A. Fujisaki-Manome, A.D. Gronewold, B.M. Lofgren, E.J. Anderson, P.D. Blanken, C. Spence, J.D. Lenters, C. Xiao, L.E. Fitzpatrick and G. Cutrell. 2018. Evaluating and improving modeled turbulent heat fluxes across the North American Great Lakes. Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences. (DOI:10.5194/hess-22-5559-2018).
Chiang, E., M.L. Schmidt, M.A. Berry, B.A. Biddanda, A. Burtner, T.H. Johengen, D. Palladino, V.J. Denef. 2018. Verrucomicrobia are prevalent in north-temperate freshwater lakes and display class-level preferences between lake habitats. PLOS One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0195112).
Cory, R.M., Davis, T.W., Dick, G.J., Johengen, T.H., Denef, V.J., Berry, M., Page, S.E., Watson, S.B., Yuhas, K and Kling, G.W. 2017. Corrigendum: Seasonal Dynamics in Dissolved Organic Matter, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Cyanobacterial Blooms in Lake Erie. Frontiers in Marine Science. (DOI:10.3389/fmars.2017.00377).
Fujisaki-Manome, A., L.E. Fitzpatrick, A.D. Gronewold, E.J. Anderson, B.M. Lofgren, C. Spence, J. Chen, C. Shao, D.M. Wright and C. Xiao. 2017. Turbulent Heat Fluxes during an Extreme Lake-Effect Snow Event. Journal of Hydrometeorology. (DOI:10.1175/JHM-D-17-0062.1).
Gill, D., M. Rowe and S.J. Joshi. 2018. Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers and the potential for adoption of a forecast model. Journal of Environmental Management. (DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.08.074).
Hawley, N., D. Beletsky and J. Wang. 2018. Ice thickness measurements in Lake Erie during the winter of 2010-2011. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2018.04.004).
Kitchens, C.M., T.H. Johengen and T.W. Davis. 2018. Establishing spatial and temporal patterns in Microcystis sediment seed stock viability and their relationship to subsequent bloom development in Western Lake Erie. Plos One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0206821).
Klump, J.V., J. Bratton, K. Fermanich, P. Forsythe, H.J. Harris, R.W. Howe and J.L. Kaster. 2018. Green Bay, Lake Michigan: A proving ground for Great Lakes restoration. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jglr.2018.08.002).
Kramer, A.M., G. Annis, M.E. Wittmann, W.L. Chadderton, E.S. Rutherford, D.M. Lodge, L.A. Mason, D. Beletsky, C. Riseng and J.M. Drake. 2017. Suitability of Laurentian Great Lakes for invasive species based on global species distribution models and local habitat. Ecosphere. (DOI:10.1002/ecs2.1883).
Liu, Q., E.J. Anderson, Y. Zhang, A.D. Weinke, K.L. Knapp and B.A. Biddanda. 2018. Modeling reveals the role of coastal upwelling and hydrologic inputs on biologically distinct water exchanges in a Great Lakes estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2018.05.014).
Meyer, K.A., T.W. Davis, S.B. Watson, V.J. Denef, M.A. Berry and G.J. Dick. 2017. Genome sequences of lower Great Lakes Microcystis sp. reveal strain-specific genes that are present and expressed in western Lake Erie blooms. PLoS One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0183859).
Moore, T.S., C.B. Mouw, J.M. Sullivan, M.S. Twardowski, A. Burtner, A.B. Ciochetto, M.N. McFarland, A.R. Nayak, D. Paladino, N. Stockley, T.H. Johengen, A.W. Yu, S.A. Ruberg and A. Weidemann. 2017. Bio-optical Properties of Cyanobacteria Blooms in Western Lake Erie. Frontiers in Marine Science. (DOI:10.3389/fmars.2017.00300).
Omrani, H., A. Tayyebi and B. Pijanowski. 2017. Integrating the multi-label land-use concept and cellular automata with the artificial neural network-based Land Transformation Model: an integrated ML-CA-LTM modeling framework. GIScience and Remote Sensing. (DOI:10.1080/15481603.2016.1265706).
Scavia, D., I. Bertani, D.R. Obenour, R.E. Turner, D.R. Forrest and A. Katin. 2017. Ensemble modeling informs environmental policy making: The case of hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (DOI:10.1073/pnas.1705293114).
Smith, J.P., R.J. Miller, R.W. Muzzi, S.A. Constant, K.Y. Beadle, D.A. Palladino, T.H. Johengen and S.A. Ruberg. 2017. An Implementation of a Database Management System for Real-Time Large-Lake Observations. Marine Technology Society. (DOI:10.4031/MTSJ.51.6.2).
Testa, J.M., J.B. Clark, W.C. Dennison, E.C. Donovan, A.W. Fisher, W. Ni, M. Parker, D. Scavia, S.E. Spitzer, A.M. Waldrop, V.M.D. Vargas and G. Ziegler. 2017. Ecological Forecasting and the Science of Hypoxia in Chesapeake Bay. BioScience. (DOI:10.1093/biosci/bix048).
Wang, J., J. Kessler, X. Bai, A. Clites, B. Lofgren, A. Assuncao, J. Bratton, P. Chu and G. Leshkevich. 2018. Decadal Variability of Great Lakes Ice Cover in Response to AMO and PDO, 1963–2017. American Meteorological Society. (DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0283.1).
Weinke, A.D. and B.A. Biddanda. 2017. From Bacteria to Fish: Ecological Consequences of Seasonal Hypoxia in a Great Lakes Estuary. Ecosystems. (DOI:10.1007/s10021-017-0160-x).
Weiskerger, C.J., M.D. Rowe, C.A. Stow, D. Stuart and T. Johengen. 2018. Application of the Beer‐Lambert model to attenuation of photosynthetically active radiation in a shallow, eutrophic lake. Water Resources Research. (DOI:10.1029/2018WR023024).
*Full article unavailable? Request full-text by emailing ContactCIGLR@umich.edu
News Stories and Related Media:
Lake Effect Snow:
- CIGLR Minute: Lake Effect Snow Research (Video), 2/28/2018
- November 2014 storms become case study for better lake-effect forecasting, The Buffalo News, 12/9/2017
- Building a better lake-effect snow forecast, GoErie.com, 12/1/2017
- Better lake-effect forecasts are coming, The Buffalo News, 11/24/2017
- Imagine a Great Lakes weather forecaster who’s always right, Great Lakes Echo, 11/20/2017
- NOAA and Partners Test Unmanned Vehicle to Detect Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie, NOAA Research News, 8/23/2018
- Runaway robot found in Lake Erie; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes underwater mission; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Underwater Robot Labs Monitor Toxins; Smithsonian.com, 8/10/2017
- Robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; The Monroe News, 7/25/2017
- Underwater Lab Helps Fight Lake Erie Algae; The Wall Street Journal, 7/24/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; NOAA Research, 7/21/2017
- Robotic underwater lab helps track Lake Erie water toxins; The Houston Chronicle, 7/20/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; Michigan News, 7/19/2017
Gulf of Mexico Dead Zone:
- Our Views: Setting a ‘dead zone’ record in Gulf; The Advocate, 8/5/2017
- Gulf of Mexico sets a new record for the world’s largest ‘dead zone’; Yahoo News, 8/4/2017
- The Gulf Of Mexico’s Dead Zone Is The Biggest Ever Seen; Houston Public Media, 8/3/2017
- Gulf of Mexico’s ‘dead zone’ balloons to the size of New Jersey; Fox News Science, 8/3/2017
- Unwanted record: Biggest ever dead zone in Gulf of Mexico; Associated Press, 8/2/2017
- Newser, 8/3/2017
- KUT 90.5 Austin’s NPR Station, 8/3/2017
- Kansas Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Health Medicine Network, 8/3/2017
- Lakeshore Public Media, 8/3/2017
- WRKF 89.3, 8/3/2017
- Interlochen Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WAMC Northeast Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KTEP El Paso, 8/3/2017
- Omaha Public Radio KIOS 91.5FM, 8/3/2017
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, 8/3/2017
- KUNC, 8/3/2017
- Koahnic Broadcast Station, 8/3/2017
- Boise State Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Iowa Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WVPE 88.1FM, 8/3/2017
- WXPR 91.7, 8/3/2017
- WYPR 88.1FM, 8/3/2017
- New England Public Radio NEPR, 8/3/2017
- Georgia Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WCBE 90.5, 8/3/2017
- New Orleans Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WUKY NPR Rocks 91.3, 8/3/2017
- North Carolina Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Jazz WCLK, 8/3/2017
- Northern Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WKAR Public Media from Michigan State University, 8/3/2017
- 1 WBOI Northeastern Indiana Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Wyoming Public Media Statewide Network, 8/3/2017
- Rhode Island Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Tri States Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- SDPB Radio, 8/3/2017
- New Hampshire Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KRWG FM New Mexico State, 8/3/2017
- org, 8/3/2017
- KRVS Radio Acadie 88.7, 8/3/2017
- KUNM, 8/3/2017
- NPR Michigan Radio, 8/3/2017
- KPBS, 8/3/2017
- KCUR Kansas City University Radio 89.3, 8/3/2017
- Kera News, 8/3/2017
- KNAU Arizona Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KMUW Wichita 89.1, 8/3/2017
- KCBXFM Central Coast Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Yahoo News, 8/2/2017
- Time, 8/2/2017
- Unwanted record: Biggest ever dead zone in Gulf of Mexico; The News and Observer, 8/2/2017
- Winnipeg Free Press, 8/2/2017
- The News Tribune, 8/2/2017
- The Bellingham Herald, 8/2/2017
- Belleville News-Democrat, 8/2/2017
- The Wichita Eagle, 8/2/2017
- Herald Leader, 8/2/2017
- Idaho Statements, 8/2/2017
- The Fresno Bee, 8/2/2017
- Sacramento Bee, 8/2/2017
- Santa Fe New Mexican, 8/2/2017
- Pittsburgh Tribune Review, 8/2/2017
Harmful Algal Blooms:
- Study: toxic algae develops faster, Great Lakes Echo, 11/21/2018
- Some cyanobacteria survive the winter in western Lake Erie, Michigan Radio, 11/21/2018
- Lake Erie algal blooms ‘seeded’ internally by overwintering cells in lake-bottom sediments, Michigan News, 11/21/2018
- Algae is ugly: Why Lake Erie anglers avoid harmful algal blooms, Great Lakes Echo, 10/16/2018
- Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers, Michigan News, 9/12/2018
- Inside NOAA’s tracking of Lake Erie’s harmful algal bloom, WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 7/25/2018
- Mussel ‘spits out’ toxic microcystin, plays part in Erie algae, 13 ABC, 6/7/2018
- U.S. Rep. Dingell: I tried to sway Kasich to move faster on Lake Erie’s impairment, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- Kapszukiewicz goes after Farm Bureau, legislature at algae conference, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- LOCAL Algal blooms harder to control because of climate change, other factors, data shows, The Blade, 5/1/2018
- Testing The Waters: Specialists at U-M’s Cooperative Institute For Great Lakes Research are Getting Out of the Lab and Onto the Lakes, Enlisting Those Whose Livelihoods Depend on Clean Water, Michigan Alumnus Magazine, 3/19/2018
- Scientists launch pilot project to warn of potentially dangerous ‘meteotsunami’ waves in Great Lakes, Michigan News, 8/3/2018
- Wave Warnings: Alerts for Meteotsunamis on the Great Lakes; Great Lakes Connection / Connexion Grands Lacs, 8/4/2017
- Great Lakes tsunamis; am770, 6/27/2017 (Radio)
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; am640 The Morning Show, 6/26/2017 (Radio)
- Scientists want a tsunami warning system – for Lake Erie; The Buffalo News, 6/25/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; the star.com, 6/23/2017
- Eric Anderson – NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory Reseacher; WJR, 6/21/2017 (Radio)
- Believe it or not, tsunamis on the Great Lakes are frequent and can be deadly; WSBT 22, 6/21/2017
- Researchers Seek Warning System for Destructive Waves On Great Lakes; WisCONTEXT, 6/21/2017
- The little-known menace of Great Lakes tsunamis; Maclean’s, 6/21/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? It happens more often than you think; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes?; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017 (Television)
- Scientists want to create a warning system for freshwater tsunamis; Michigan Radio, 6/20/2017 (Radio)
- Experts seek warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis; Great Lakes Echo, 6/20/2017
- Tsunami warning system studied for Lake Michigan beaches; WZZM 13 ABC, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? They happen — sometimes with deadly results; Detroit Free Press, 6/19/2017
- Scientist Eric Anderson tells Guy Gordon about the meetings this week discussing a tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes; WJR, 6/19/2017 (Radio)
- A Tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes?; WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 6/19/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes Tsunami Warning System In The Works; Detroit Patch, 6/19/2017
- Warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis under development; Mlive, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? Ever seen one?; WITL 100.7, 6/19/2017
- Experts to discuss tsunami warning system for Great Lakes; Associated Press, 6/18/2017
- FOX 17 West Michigan, 6/19/2017
- WILX 10, 6/19/2017
- The Monroe News, 6/19/2017
- News Talk 94.9 WSJM, 6/19/2017
- 3 The Coast, 6/19/2017
- Cadillac News, 6/19/2017
- The Detroit News, 6/18/2017
- S. News and World Report, 6/18/2017
- Wood TV 8, 6/18/2017
- FOX 66 News Flint, 6/18/2017
- Rowe, M.D. Influence of invasive quagga mussels, phosphorus loads, and climate on spatial and temporal patterns of productivity in Lake Michigan: A biophysical modeling study. 2017. (Animations)
- GLANSIS: A ‘one-stop shop’ for information on aquatic invaders, Michigan State University Extension, 2/25/2018