Joeseph SmithGeneral Programmer/Analyst
In the News:
- Large Lake Statistical Water Balance Model (L2SWBM), NOAA GLERL Website, 7/23/2018
- A Big Data Challenge – Lake Erie Algal Blooms and Hypoxia, CIGLR Winter 2017 eNews, 3/10/2017
CIGLR Minute: 2018 Review
- University of Michigan 2009-2012: Informatics – Information Analysis/Data Mining Bachelor of Science
- Washtenaw Community College 2007-2009: Math and Computer Science Associates Degree
- Development of a Bayesian Network simulated via Markov Chain Monte Carlo sampling that effectively and efficiently closes the water balance of the Laurentian Great Lakes, utilizing multiple observation sources
- Development of a SQL (PostgreSQL) database for real-time remote sensing (buoy) data, making the data more accessible to scientists and stakeholders via a web interface.
- Processing of, collectively, multiple terabytes of data for web consumption (as above) and for scientific inquiries of multiple scientists and stakeholders.
- Refactored and redesigned software as necessary for increased efficiency and better documentation
- Aiding in and producing of publications and presentations to communicate scientific findings and software developments to the community and public
- Management of a website utilizing a Content Management System (CMS)
- Providing valuable input into the ongoing development of a sustainable and scalable Information Technology platform for scientific research and development
- Great Lakes Dashboard
- Lake Erie Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) and Hypoxia data browsers covering routine manual sampling, automatic real-time, and model output data
- Map explorer for the Great Lakes Nonindigenous Species Information System (GLANSIS)
Gronewold, A.D., J.P. Smith, L.K. Read and J.L. Crooks. 2019. Reconciling the water balance of large lake systems. Advances in Water Resources. (DOI:10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103505). [Altmetric Score]
Smith, J.P., E.K. Lower, F.A. Martinez, C.M. Riseng, L.A. Mason, E.S. Rutherford, M. Neilson, P. Fuller, K.E. Wehrly and R.A. Sturtevant. 2019. Interactive mapping of nonindigenous species in the Laurentian Great Lakes. Management of Biological Invasions. 10(1):192-199. (DOI:10.3391/mbi.2019.10.1.12).
Smith, J.P., R.J. Miller, R.W. Muzzi, S.A. Constant, K.S. Beadle, D.A. Palladino, T.H. Johengen and S.A. Ruberg. 2017. An implementation of a database management system for real-time large-lake observations. Marine Technology Society Journal. 51(6). (DOI:10.4031/MTSJ.51.6.2).
Smith, J.P. and A.D. Gronewold. Development and analysis of a Bayesian water balance model for large lake systems. 2017. Submitted. E-print available on arXiv: (DOI:https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.10161). [Altmetric Score]
Gronewold, A.D., J. Bruxer, D. Durnford, J.P. Smith, A.H. Clites, F. Seglenieks, S.S. Qian, T.S. Hunter and V. Fortin. 2016. Hydrological drivers of record‐setting water level rise on Earth’s largest lake system. Water Resources Research. 52(5):4026-4042. (DOI:10.1002/2015WR018209). [Altmetric Score]
Smith, J.P., T.S. Hunter, A.H. Clites, C.A. Stow, T. Slawecki, G.C. Muhr and A.D. Gronewold. 2016. An expandable web-based platform for visually analyzing basin-scale hydro-climate time series data. Environmental Modelling & Software. 78:97-105. (DOI:10.1016/j.envsoft.2015.12.005). [Altmetric Score]
Ruberg, S.A., Constant, S.A., Muzzi, R.W., Miller, R.J., Smith, J.P., Utilization of PostgreSQL Database for Real-Time Western Lake Erie Data Storage and Dissemination. 60th Annual Conference of the International Association for Great Lakes Research, Detroit, Michigan, United States of America, May 15-19, 2017.
Smith, J.P., Hunter, T.S., and T.A. Slawecki. “MVC” environmental informatics software foundation for relationship-based collaborative science. 59th Annual Conference of the International Association for Great Lakes Research, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, June 6-10, 2016.
Smith, J.P., Hunter, T.S., and T.A. Slawecki. Tools of the Data Smithe’s Trade. 59th Annual Conference of the International Association for Great Lakes Research, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, June 6-10, 2016.