Spring 2019 eNewsletter
Anderson, E.J., A. Fujisaki-Manome, J. Kessler, G.A. Lang, P.Y. Chu, J.G. Kelley, Y. Chen and J. Wang. 2018. Ice Forecasting in the Next-Generation Great Lakes Operational Forecast System (GLOFS). Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. (DOI:10.3390/jmse6040123).
Bosse, K.R., M.J. Sayers, R.A. Shuchman, G.L. Fahnenstiel, S.A. Ruberg, D.L. Fanslow A.M. Burtner. 2019. Spatial-temporal variability of in situ cyanobacteria vertical structure in Western Lake Erie: Implications for remote sensing observations. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 45:480-489. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.02.003).
Chaffin, J.D., T.W. Davis, D.J. Smith, M.M. Baer and G.J. Dick. 2018. Interactions between nitrogen form, loading rate, and light intensity on Microcystis and Planktothrix growth and microcystin production. Harmful Algae. (DOI:10.1016/j.hal.2018.02.001).
Charusombat, U., A. Fujisaki-Manome, A.D. Gronewold, B.M. Lofgren, E.J. Anderson, P.D. Blanken, C. Spence, J.D. Lenters, C. Xiao, L.E. Fitzpatrick and G. Cutrell. 2018. Evaluating and improving modeled turbulent heat fluxes across the North American Great Lakes. Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences. (DOI:10.5194/hess-22-5559-2018).
Chiang, E., M.L. Schmidt, M.A. Berry, B.A. Biddanda, A. Burtner, T.H. Johengen, D. Palladino, V.J. Denef. 2018. Verrucomicrobia are prevalent in north-temperate freshwater lakes and display class-level preferences between lake habitats. PLOS One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0195112).
Gill, D., M. Rowe and S.J. Joshi. 2018. Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers and the potential for adoption of a forecast model. Journal of Environmental Management. (DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.08.074).
Guo, T., E.C. Nisbet and J.F. Martin 2019. Identifying mechanisms of environmental decision-making: How ideology and geographic proximity influence public support for managing agricultural runoff to curb harmful algal blooms. Journal of Environmental Management. 241:264-272. (DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.04.021).
Hawley, N., D. Beletsky and J. Wang. 2018. Ice thickness measurements in Lake Erie during the winter of 2010-2011. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2018.04.004).
Kitchens, C.M., T.H. Johengen and T.W. Davis. 2018. Establishing spatial and temporal patterns in Microcystis sediment seed stock viability and their relationship to subsequent bloom development in Western Lake Erie. Plos One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0206821).
Klump, J.V., J. Bratton, K. Fermanich, P. Forsythe, H.J. Harris, R.W. Howe and J.L. Kaster. 2018. Green Bay, Lake Michigan: A proving ground for Great Lakes restoration. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jglr.2018.08.002).
Liu, Q., E.J. Anderson, Y. Zhang, A.D. Weinke, K.L. Knapp and B.A. Biddanda. 2018. Modeling reveals the role of coastal upwelling and hydrologic inputs on biologically distinct water exchanges in a Great Lakes estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2018.05.014).
Moore, T.S., J.H. Churnside, J.M. Sullivan, M.S. Twardowski, A.R. Nayak, M.N. McFarland, N.D. Stockley, R.W. Gould, T.H. Johengen, S.A. Ruberg. 2019. Vertical distributions of blooming cyanobacteria populations in a freshwater lake from LIDAR observations. Remote Sensing of Environment. 225:347-367. (DOI:10.1016/j.rse.2019.02.025).
Newell, S.E., T.W.Davis, T.H. Johengen, D. Gossiaux, A. Burtner, D. Palladino and M.J. McCarthy. 2019. Reduced forms of nitrogen are a driver of non-nitrogen-fixing harmful cyanobacterial blooms and toxicity in Lake Erie. Harmful Algae. 81:86-93. (DOI:10.1016/j.hal.2018.11.003).
Sayers, M.J. K.R. Bosse, R.A. Shuchman, S.A. Ruberg, G.L. Fahnenstiel, G.A. Leshkevich, D.G. Stuart, T.H. Johengen, A.M. Burtner, D. Palladino. 2019. Spatial and temporal variability of inherent and apparent optical properties in western Lake Erie: Implications for water quality remote sensing. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 45:490-507. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.03.011).
Sayers, M.J., A.G. Grimm, R.A. Shuchman, K.R. Bosse, G.L. Fahnenstiel, S.A. Ruberg and G.A. Leshkevich. 2019. Satellite monitoring of harmful algal blooms in the Western Basin of Lake Erie: A 20-year time-series. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 45:508-521. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.01.005).
Smith, J.P., E.K. Lower, F.A. Martinez, C.M. Riseng, L.A. Mason, E.S. Rutherford, M. Neilson, P. Fuller, K.E. Wehrly and R.A. Sturtevant. 2019. Interactive mapping of nonindigenous species in the Laurentian Great Lakes. Management of Biological Invasions. 10(1):192-199. (DOI:10.3391/mbi.2019.10.1.12).
Vander Woude, A., S. Ruberg, T.H. Johengen, R. Miller and D. Stuart. 2019. Spatial and temporal scales of variability of cyanobacteria harmful algal blooms from NOAA GLERL airborne hyperspectral imagery. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.02.006).
Wang, J., J. Kessler, X. Bai, A. Clites, B. Lofgren, A. Assuncao, J. Bratton, P. Chu and G. Leshkevich. 2018. Decadal Variability of Great Lakes Ice Cover in Response to AMO and PDO, 1963–2017. American Meteorological Society. (DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0283.1).
Weiskerger, C.J., M.D. Rowe, C.A. Stow, D. Stuart and T. Johengen. 2018. Application of the Beer‐Lambert model to attenuation of photosynthetically active radiation in a shallow, eutrophic lake. Water Resources Research. (DOI:10.1029/2018WR023024).
Zhang, H., J. Wang, T. Yang, B. Lofgren and P. Chu. 2018. Statistical relationships between biological parameters and environmental forcings in Lake Erie, 1970s–2010s. NOAA Technical Memorandum GLERL-173.
*Full article unavailable? Request full-text by emailing ContactCIGLR@umich.edu
News Stories and Related Media:
- Great lakes paddle board challenge, Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/18/2019
- Three friends are paddle boarding across all five Great Lakes. Next stop: Lake Erie, Fox 2 Detroit, 5/23/2019
- New partners join U-M-based CIGLR to keep the Great Lakes great, Michigan News, 4/24/2019
- Herpetologist Highlight, Herpetologists League, 4/1/2019
- Between government shutdowns? Great Lakes researchers struggle to carry on, Great Lakes Echo, 2/7/2019
- Federal shutdown hits UM-affiliated environmental studies, Crain’s Detroit Business, 1/23/2019
- Six things to know about the federal government shutdown in Michigan, Bridge, 1/18/2019
- Partial government shutdown: Impact on U-M research, Michigan News, 1/17/2019
Lake Effect Snow & Ice:
- Researchers to sharpen Great Lakes ice alerts, Great Lakes Echo, 2/27/2019
- CIGLR Minute: Lake Effect Snow Research (Video), 2/28/2018
- November 2014 storms become case study for better lake-effect forecasting, The Buffalo News, 12/9/2017
- Building a better lake-effect snow forecast, GoErie.com, 12/1/2017
- Better lake-effect forecasts are coming, The Buffalo News, 11/24/2017
- Imagine a Great Lakes weather forecaster who’s always right, Great Lakes Echo, 11/20/2017
- NOAA and Partners Test Unmanned Vehicle to Detect Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie, NOAA Research News, 8/23/2018
- Runaway robot found in Lake Erie; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes underwater mission; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Underwater Robot Labs Monitor Toxins; Smithsonian.com, 8/10/2017
- Robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; The Monroe News, 7/25/2017
- Underwater Lab Helps Fight Lake Erie Algae; The Wall Street Journal, 7/24/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; NOAA Research, 7/21/2017
- Robotic underwater lab helps track Lake Erie water toxins; The Houston Chronicle, 7/20/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; Michigan News, 7/19/2017
Harmful Algal Blooms:
- Great Lakes buoys help fight algal blooms, and they just returned to the water, Fox 2 Detroit, 5/24/2019
- Monitoring algal blooms in the Great Lakes Basin, Great Lakes Echo, 2/13/2019
- Study: toxic algae develops faster, Great Lakes Echo, 11/21/2018
- Some cyanobacteria survive the winter in western Lake Erie, Michigan Radio, 11/21/2018
- Lake Erie algal blooms ‘seeded’ internally by overwintering cells in lake-bottom sediments, Michigan News, 11/21/2018
- Algae is ugly: Why Lake Erie anglers avoid harmful algal blooms, Great Lakes Echo, 10/16/2018
- Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers, Michigan News, 9/12/2018
- Inside NOAA’s tracking of Lake Erie’s harmful algal bloom, WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 7/25/2018
- Mussel ‘spits out’ toxic microcystin, plays part in Erie algae, 13 ABC, 6/7/2018
- U.S. Rep. Dingell: I tried to sway Kasich to move faster on Lake Erie’s impairment, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- Kapszukiewicz goes after Farm Bureau, legislature at algae conference, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- LOCAL Algal blooms harder to control because of climate change, other factors, data shows, The Blade, 5/1/2018
- Testing The Waters: Specialists at U-M’s Cooperative Institute For Great Lakes Research are Getting Out of the Lab and Onto the Lakes, Enlisting Those Whose Livelihoods Depend on Clean Water, Michigan Alumnus Magazine, 3/19/2018
Meteotsunamis & Water Levels:
- Climate change is driving rapid shifts between high and low water levels on the Great Lakes, The Conversation, 6/4/2019
- Scientists launch pilot project to warn of potentially dangerous ‘meteotsunami’ waves in Great Lakes, Michigan News, 8/3/2018
- Wave Warnings: Alerts for Meteotsunamis on the Great Lakes; Great Lakes Connection / Connexion Grands Lacs, 8/4/2017
- Great Lakes tsunamis; am770, 6/27/2017 (Radio)
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; am640 The Morning Show, 6/26/2017 (Radio)
- Scientists want a tsunami warning system – for Lake Erie; The Buffalo News, 6/25/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; the star.com, 6/23/2017
- Eric Anderson – NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory Reseacher; WJR, 6/21/2017 (Radio)
- Believe it or not, tsunamis on the Great Lakes are frequent and can be deadly; WSBT 22, 6/21/2017
- Researchers Seek Warning System for Destructive Waves On Great Lakes; WisCONTEXT, 6/21/2017
- The little-known menace of Great Lakes tsunamis; Maclean’s, 6/21/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? It happens more often than you think; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes?; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017 (Television)
- Scientists want to create a warning system for freshwater tsunamis; Michigan Radio, 6/20/2017 (Radio)
- Experts seek warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis; Great Lakes Echo, 6/20/2017
- Tsunami warning system studied for Lake Michigan beaches; WZZM 13 ABC, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? They happen — sometimes with deadly results; Detroit Free Press, 6/19/2017
- Scientist Eric Anderson tells Guy Gordon about the meetings this week discussing a tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes; WJR, 6/19/2017 (Radio)
- A Tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes?; WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 6/19/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes Tsunami Warning System In The Works; Detroit Patch, 6/19/2017
- Warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis under development; Mlive, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? Ever seen one?; WITL 100.7, 6/19/2017
- Experts to discuss tsunami warning system for Great Lakes; Associated Press, 6/18/2017
- Alien language: Stages of invasion, Michigan State University Extension, 2/24/2019
- Alien language: Understanding terminology about nonindigenous species, Michigan State University Extension, 2/24/2019
- CIGLR Minute: GLANSIS Project (Video), 11/14/2018
- Rowe, M.D. Influence of invasive quagga mussels, phosphorus loads, and climate on spatial and temporal patterns of productivity in Lake Michigan: A biophysical modeling study. 2017. (Animations)
- GLANSIS: A ‘one-stop shop’ for information on aquatic invaders, Michigan State University Extension, 2/25/2018