2020 Great Lakes Summer Fellows Program
The Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research (CIGLR) announces the 2020 Great Lakes Summer Fellows Program, in partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab (GLERL). The Great Lakes Summer Fellows Program exposes students to a broad range of disciplines and provides an exciting opportunity for students to conduct research in the Great Lakes region under the mentorship of a CIGLR or GLERL scientist. We seek to use these fellowships to increase diversity in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering and math) and strongly encourage applications from students who identify with groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in government and academic workforces.
- We are offering nine (9) full-time, twelve-week positions located at the NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (GLERL), 4840 South State Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, about 4 miles south of the University of Michigan central campus.
- Fellowships will begin on May 18 and end on August 7.
- Each student will receive a $10,000 stipend, paid in four monthly installments of $2,500. The first payment will be made one month in advance of the start date to help with securing housing and other incidentals for relocation to Ann Arbor. Stipend pay dates will be: 4/13/20, 5/11/20, 6/8/20, and 8/10/20.
- Each student will receive financial support for travel to and from Ann Arbor.
- A vehicle will be provided for local travel to/from the work site for students in need of transportation while in Ann Arbor.
- Click here for 2020 Summer Fellows Position Descriptions
- The program is limited to currently-enrolled undergraduate (juniors and seniors as of Fall 2020) and graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D). We will also consider post-baccalaureate or post-masters students who have graduated within the past 12 months of the fellowship (i.e., May 2019 or after), if the position fits directly within a student’s career or academic goals.
- You must be either a U.S. citizen or a foreign national who is residing in the U.S. on a current Student Visa.
- Immediate relatives of any CIGLR or NOAA GLERL employees are not eligible to participate in this program, consistent with NOAA guidelines.
- Fellows are required to give a 15-minute presentation at the end of the fellowship period.
- Fellows are responsible for securing and paying the costs of housing for the duration of the fellowship. Housing costs for Ann Arbor were figured into the stipend amount. CIGLR will provide resources for finding housing and connecting with potential roommates.
- Applications are submitted through an online application process.
- The following materials must be uploaded along with the application:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- Essay (max. 400 words) describing an obstacle you have had to overcome
- Names and contact information for two (2) references
- One (1) letter of recommendation*
*Note: Letters can also be sent directly to Mary Ogdahl (email@example.com) if that is preferred by the letter writer.
- Applicants will be asked to identify and rank up to three (3) projects to which they would like to apply.
- Project mentors will review the applications once they are submitted. After an initial review, the project mentor will conduct phone interviews with the top candidates to discuss the project in more detail and ensure match in interest and skills.
- For specific questions about each opportunity, please contact the position mentors directly. Email addresses are provided with the position descriptions.
- Applicants will be notified of their status by 20 March 2020.
Applications must be submitted by 23 February 2020 at 11:59 pm (Eastern Time).
Have questions? Check out the FAQ page
Mary Ogdahl, Program Manager
Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research
University of Michigan
440 Church Street, G110 Dana Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1041
Ph: 734-763-3010 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory/affirmative action employer.