Hosted by the School for Environment and Sustainability (SEAS) at the University of Michigan, CIGLR is a partnership between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), universities, non-governmental organizations, and businesses. Together, we work to achieve environmental, economic, and social sustainability in the Great Lakes. CIGLR consists of a Research Institute and a Regional Consortium.
The CIGLR Research Institute complements NOAA’s workforce with a highly-skilled, permanent group of research scientists, postdoctoral fellows, technicians, and staff that expands NOAA’s research expertise and is fully-integrated into NOAA’s scientific enterprise. All CIGLR Research Institute personnel hold appointments at the University of Michigan and are collocated with our sponsor, the NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab (GLERL).
- CIGLR Research Scientists serve as principal investigators on CIGLR Cooperative Agreement (NOAA) and external proposals, engage in collaborative research with NOAA scientists and Regional Consortium partners, and mentor undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows.
- CIGLR postdoctoral fellows work with CIGLR and GLERL Research Scientists to receive early career training in NOAA mission-related research topics in the Great Lakes.
- CIGLR research support staff work with CIGLR and GLERL principal investigators on technical aspects of their research projects.
The Regional Consortium broadens our research capacity, intellectual expertise, and geographic scope across the Great Lakes. Consortium partners include twelve universities and seven private sector organizations that collaborate with CIGLR and NOAA GLERL to conduct research, transition research to operations, and engage with stakeholders.
- Central Michigan University
- Cornell University
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Superior State University
- University of Michigan
- Michigan Technological University
- Michigan State University
- University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Ohio State University
- Wayne State University
- University of Windsor
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Cleveland Water Alliance
- Fondriest Environmental
- Great Lakes Environmental Center
- Michigan Environmental Council
- The Nature Conservancy, Great Lakes
- National Wildlife Federation, Great Lakes Regional Center
Executive Board – Administrative Oversight:
- Reviews, providing recommendations on, and approving CIGLR’s Strategic Plan.
- Makes recommendations to CIGLR’s Director concerning the administrative budget.
- Approves appointments for the Council of Fellows.
- Reviews the annual budget and progress report of the CI.
- Reviews agreements or addenda to CIGLR’s Cooperative Agreement, as may be entered into in the future, and making recommendations about such agreements to the Director.
- Reviews general policies of CIGLR and initiating appropriate recommendations.
- Assures that CIGLR maintains a basin-wide approach in the Great Lakes and fully engages the Regional Consortium in research, outreach, education, and communications.
Executive Board members:
- Carl Gouldman – Director, U.S. IOOS Office, NOAA National Ocean Service
- Deborah Lee – Director, NOAA GLERL (Ex-Officio)
- Brad Orr – Associate VP, Natural Sciences and Engineering, University of Michigan
- Jonathan Overpeck – Samuel A. Graham Dean, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
- Steven Thur – Director, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, NOAA National Ocean Service
Council of Fellows – Scientific Oversight:
- Provides leadership in maintaining high standards of research for the CI.
- Analyzes the CI’s programs and science direction, identifying critical research needs, and recommending new research foci.
- Advises CIGLR’s Director on selection of new Council of Fellows members and reappointment of current Fellows.
- Makes recommendations to the CIGLR Director on the selection of Visiting Fellows.
- Reviews grants and applications for non-administrative programs, including the Postdoctoral Fellowships, Visiting Fellows, and Graduate Research Fellowships, and making recommendations to the CIGLR Director about priority applicants.
Council of Fellows members:
- John Bratton – Senior Scientist, LimnoTech
- Philip Chu – Physical Scientist, NOAA GLERL
- Patrick Doran – Associate State Director for Michigan, The Nature Conservancy
- Aaron Fisk – Professor, Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research, University of Windsor (CIGLR co-PI)
- Steve Fondriest – President, Fondriest Environmental
- Tom Zimnicki – Agriculture Policy Director, Michigan Environmental Council
- Tom Johengen – Associate Director, CIGLR, University of Michigan
- Donna Kashian – Associate Professor, Wayne State University
- J. Val Klump – Director, Great Lakes Water Institute, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (CIGLR co-PI)
- Maria Lemos – Associate Dean for Research, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan (CIGLR co-PI)
- Dennis McCauley – President and Principal Research Scientist, Great Lakes Environmental Center
- Steve Ruberg – Group Leader, Marine Instrumentation Lab, NOAA GLERL
- Lars Rudstam – Director, Shackelton Point Field Station, Cornell University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Guy Meadows, Director, Great Lakes Research Center, Michigan Technological University
- Ashley Moerke – Director, Center for Freshwater Research and Education, Lake Superior State University
- Mike Murray – Staff Scientist, National Wildlife Federation Great Lakes Regional Center
- Al Steinman – Director, Annis Water Resources Institute, Grand Valley State University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Robert W. Sterner – Director, Large Lakes Observatory, Univ. Minnesota-Duluth (CIGLR co-PI)
- Bryan Stubbs – Executive Director & President, Cleveland Water Alliance
- Phanikumar Mantha – Professor/Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, Michigan State University
- Donald Uzarski – Director, Biological Station and Institute for Great Lakes Research, Central Michigan University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Hank Vanderploeg – Research Ecologist, NOAA GLERL
- Chris Winslow – Director, Stone Laboratory, Ohio Sea Grant, Ohio State University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Casey Godwin – Assistant Research Scientist, CIGLR, University of Michigan