CIGLR is governed by two advisory boards, consistent with NOAA Cooperative Institute procedures.
Executive Board – Administrative Oversight:
- Reviews, providing recommendations on, and approving CIGLR’s Strategic Plan.
- Makes recommendations to CIGLR’s Director concerning the administrative budget.
- Approves appointments for the Council of Fellows.
- Reviews the annual budget and progress report of the CI.
- Reviews agreements or addenda to CIGLR’s Cooperative Agreement, as may be entered into in the future, and making recommendations about such agreements to the Director.
- Reviews general policies of CIGLR and initiating appropriate recommendations.
- Assures that CIGLR maintains a basin-wide approach in the Great Lakes and fully engages the Regional Consortium in research, outreach, education, and communications.
Executive Board members:
- Carl Gouldman – Director, U.S. IOOS Office, NOAA National Ocean Service
- Deborah Lee – Director, NOAA GLERL (Ex-Officio)
- Brad Orr – Associate VP, Natural Sciences and Engineering, University of Michigan
- Jonathan Overpeck – Samuel A. Graham Dean, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
- Steven Thur – Director, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, NOAA National Ocean Service
Council of Fellows – Scientific Oversight:
- Provides leadership in maintaining high standards of research for the CI.
- Analyzes the CI’s programs and science direction, identifying critical research needs, and recommending new research foci.
- Advises CIGLR’s Director on selection of new Council of Fellows members and reappointment of current Fellows.
- Makes recommendations to the CIGLR Director on the selection of Visiting Fellows.
- Reviews grants and applications for non-administrative programs, including the Postdoctoral Fellowships, Visiting Fellows, and Graduate Research Fellowships, and making recommendations to the CIGLR Director about priority applicants.
Council of Fellows members:
- John Bratton – Senior Scientist, LimnoTech
- Philip Chu – Physical Scientist, NOAA GLERL
- Patrick Doran – Associate State Director for Michigan, The Nature Conservancy
- Aaron Fisk – Professor, Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research, University of Windsor (CIGLR co-PI)
- Steve Fondriest – President, Fondriest Environmental
- Ayumi Fujisaki-Manome – Assistant Research Scientist, CIGLR, University of Michigan
- Sara Hughes – Assistant Professor, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan (CIGLR co-PI)
- Tom Johengen – Associate Director, CIGLR, University of Michigan
- J. Val Klump – Director, Great Lakes Water Institute, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (CIGLR co-PI)
- Phanikumar Mantha – Professor/Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, Michigan State University
- Dennis McCauley – President and Principal Research Scientist, Great Lakes Environmental Center
- Mike Murray – Staff Scientist, National Wildlife Federation Great Lakes Regional Center
- Steve Ruberg – Group Leader, Marine Instrumentation Lab, NOAA GLERL
- Lars Rudstam – Director, Shackelton Point Field Station, Cornell University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Al Steinman – Director, Annis Water Resources Institute, Grand Valley State University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Robert W. Sterner – Director, Large Lakes Observatory, Univ. Minnesota-Duluth (CIGLR co-PI)
- Donald Uzarski – Director, Biological Station and Institute for Great Lakes Research, Central Michigan University (CIGLR co-PI)
- Hank Vanderploeg – Research Ecologist, NOAA GLERL
- Chris Winslow – Director, Stone Laboratory, Ohio Sea Grant, Ohio State University (CIGLR co-PI)