Summer 2018 eNewsletter
Biddanda, B.A., A.D. Weinke, S.T. Kendall, L.C. Gereaux, T.M. Holcomb, M.J. Snider, D.K. Dila, S.A. Long, C. VandenBerg, K. Knapp, D.J. Koopmans, K. Thompson, J.H. Vail, M.E. Ogdahl, Q. Liu, T.H. Johengen, E.J. Anderson and S.A. Ruberg. 2017. Chronicles of hypoxia: Time-series buoy observations reveal annually recurring seasonal basin-wide hypoxia in Muskegon Lake – A Great Lakes estuary. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2017.12.008).
Butts, E. and H.J. Carrick. 2017. Phytoplankton seasonality along a gradient of temperate lakes: Convergence in taxonomic composition during winter ice-cover. Northeastern Naturalist. (DOI:10.1656/045.024.s719).
Cable, R.N., D. Beletsky, R. Beletsky, B.W. Locke, K. Wigginton and M.B. Duhaime. 2017. Distribution and modeled transport of plastic pollution in the Great Lakes, the world’s largest freshwater resource. Frontiers in Environmental Science. (DOI:10.3389/fenvs.2017.00045).
Carrick, H.J., E. Cafferty, A. Ilacqua, S.A. Pothoven and G.L. Fahnenstiel. 2017. Seasonal Abundance, Biomass and Morphological Diversity of Picoplankton in Lake Superior: Importance of Water Column Mixing. International Journal of Hydrology. (DOI:10.15406/ijh.2017.01.00034).
Chaffin, J.D., T.W. Davis, D.J. Smith, M.M. Baer and G.J. Dick. 2018. Interactions between nitrogen form, loading rate, and light intensity on Microcystis and Planktothrix growth and microcystin production. Harmful Algae. (DOI:10.1016/j.hal.2018.02.001)
Chiang, E., M.L. Schmidt, M.A. Berry, B.A. Biddanda, A. Burtner, T.H. Johengen, D. Palladino, V.J. Denef. 2018. Verrucomicrobia are prevalent in north-temperate freshwater lakes and display class-level preferences between lake habitats. PLOS One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0195112).
Cory, R.M., Davis, T.W., Dick, G.J., Johengen, T.H., Denef, V.J., Berry, M., Page, S.E., Watson, S.B., Yuhas, K and Kling, G.W. 2017. Corrigendum: Seasonal Dynamics in Dissolved Organic Matter, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Cyanobacterial Blooms in Lake Erie. Frontiers in Marine Science. (DOI:10.3389/fmars.2017.00377).
Fujisaki-Manome, A., L.E. Fitzpatrick, A.D. Gronewold, E.J. Anderson, B.M. Lofgren, C. Spence, J. Chen, C. Shao, D.M. Wright and C. Xiao. 2017. Turbulent Heat Fluxes during an Extreme Lake-Effect Snow Event. Journal of Hydrometeorology. (DOI:10.1175/JHM-D-17-0062.1).
Gill, D., M. Rowe and S.J. Joshi. 2018. Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers and the potential for adoption of a forecast model. Journal of Environmental Management. (DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.08.074).
Hawley, N., D. Beletsky and J. Wang. 2018. Ice thickness measurements in Lake Erie during the winter of 2010-2011. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2018.04.004).
Klump, J.V., J. Bratton, K. Fermanich, P. Forsythe, H.J. Harris, R.W. Howe and J.L. Kaster. 2018. Green Bay, Lake Michigan: A proving ground for Great Lakes restoration. Journal of Great Lakes Research. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jglr.2018.08.002).
Kramer, A.M., G. Annis, M.E. Wittmann, W.L. Chadderton, E.S. Rutherford, D.M. Lodge, L.A. Mason, D. Beletsky, C. Riseng and J.M. Drake. 2017. Suitability of Laurentian Great Lakes for invasive species based on global species distribution models and local habitat. Ecosphere. (DOI:10.1002/ecs2.1883).
Liu, Q., E.J. Anderson, Y. Zhang, A.D. Weinke, K.L. Knapp and B.A. Biddanda. 2018. Modeling reveals the role of coastal upwelling and hydrologic inputs on biologically distinct water exchanges in a Great Lakes estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2018.05.014).
Meyer, K.A., T.W. Davis, S.B. Watson, V.J. Denef, M.A. Berry and G.J. Dick. 2017. Genome sequences of lower Great Lakes Microcystis sp. reveal strain-specific genes that are present and expressed in western Lake Erie blooms. PLoS One. (DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0183859).
Moore, T.S., C.B. Mouw, J.M. Sullivan, M.S. Twardowski, A. Burtner, A.B. Ciochetto, M.N. McFarland, A.R. Nayak, D. Paladino, N. Stockley, T.H. Johengen, A.W. Yu, S.A. Ruberg and A. Weidemann. 2017. Bio-optical Properties of Cyanobacteria Blooms in Western Lake Erie. Frontiers in Marine Science. (DOI:10.3389/fmars.2017.00300).
Omrani, H., A. Tayyebi and B. Pijanowski. 2017. Integrating the multi-label land-use concept and cellular automata with the artificial neural network-based Land Transformation Model: an integrated ML-CA-LTM modeling framework. GIScience and Remote Sensing. (DOI:10.1080/15481603.2016.1265706).
Scavia, D., I. Bertani, D.R. Obenour, R.E. Turner, D.R. Forrest and A. Katin. 2017. Ensemble modeling informs environmental policy making: The case of hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (DOI:10.1073/pnas.1705293114).
Smith, J.P., R.J. Miller, R.W. Muzzi, S.A. Constant, K.Y. Beadle, D.A. Palladino, T.H. Johengen and S.A. Ruberg. 2017. An Implementation of a Database Management System for Real-Time Large-Lake Observations. Marine Technology Society. (DOI:10.4031/MTSJ.51.6.2).
Testa, J.M., J.B. Clark, W.C. Dennison, E.C. Donovan, A.W. Fisher, W. Ni, M. Parker, D. Scavia, S.E. Spitzer, A.M. Waldrop, V.M.D. Vargas and G. Ziegler. 2017. Ecological Forecasting and the Science of Hypoxia in Chesapeake Bay. BioScience. (DOI:10.1093/biosci/bix048).
Wang, J., J. Kessler, X. Bai, A. Clites, B. Lofgren, A. Assuncao, J. Bratton, P. Chu and G. Leshkevich. 2018. Decadal Variability of Great Lakes Ice Cover in Response to AMO and PDO, 1963–2017. American Meteorological Society. (DOI: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0283.1).
Weinke, A.D. and B.A. Biddanda. 2017. From Bacteria to Fish: Ecological Consequences of Seasonal Hypoxia in a Great Lakes Estuary. Ecosystems. (DOI:10.1007/s10021-017-0160-x).
*Full article unavailable? Request full-text by emailing ContactCIGLR@umich.edu
News Stories and Related Media:
Lake Effect Snow:
- CIGLR Minute: Lake Effect Snow Research (Video), 2/28/2018
- November 2014 storms become case study for better lake-effect forecasting, The Buffalo News, 12/9/2017
- Building a better lake-effect snow forecast, GoErie.com, 12/1/2017
- Better lake-effect forecasts are coming, The Buffalo News, 11/24/2017
- Imagine a Great Lakes weather forecaster who’s always right, Great Lakes Echo, 11/20/2017
- NOAA and Partners Test Unmanned Vehicle to Detect Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie, NOAA Research News, 8/23/2018
- Runaway robot found in Lake Erie; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes underwater mission; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 8/15/2017 (Television)
- Underwater Robot Labs Monitor Toxins; Smithsonian.com, 8/10/2017
- Robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; The Monroe News, 7/25/2017
- Underwater Lab Helps Fight Lake Erie Algae; The Wall Street Journal, 7/24/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; NOAA Research, 7/21/2017
- Robotic underwater lab helps track Lake Erie water toxins; The Houston Chronicle, 7/20/2017
- New robotic lab tracking toxicity of Lake Erie algal bloom; Michigan News, 7/19/2017
Gulf of Mexico Dead Zone:
- Our Views: Setting a ‘dead zone’ record in Gulf; The Advocate, 8/5/2017
- Gulf of Mexico sets a new record for the world’s largest ‘dead zone’; Yahoo News, 8/4/2017
- The Gulf Of Mexico’s Dead Zone Is The Biggest Ever Seen; Houston Public Media, 8/3/2017
- Gulf of Mexico’s ‘dead zone’ balloons to the size of New Jersey; Fox News Science, 8/3/2017
- Unwanted record: Biggest ever dead zone in Gulf of Mexico; Associated Press, 8/2/2017
- Newser, 8/3/2017
- KUT 90.5 Austin’s NPR Station, 8/3/2017
- Kansas Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Health Medicine Network, 8/3/2017
- Lakeshore Public Media, 8/3/2017
- WRKF 89.3, 8/3/2017
- Interlochen Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WAMC Northeast Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KTEP El Paso, 8/3/2017
- Omaha Public Radio KIOS 91.5FM, 8/3/2017
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, 8/3/2017
- KUNC, 8/3/2017
- Koahnic Broadcast Station, 8/3/2017
- Boise State Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Iowa Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WVPE 88.1FM, 8/3/2017
- WXPR 91.7, 8/3/2017
- WYPR 88.1FM, 8/3/2017
- New England Public Radio NEPR, 8/3/2017
- Georgia Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WCBE 90.5, 8/3/2017
- New Orleans Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WUKY NPR Rocks 91.3, 8/3/2017
- North Carolina Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Jazz WCLK, 8/3/2017
- Northern Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- WKAR Public Media from Michigan State University, 8/3/2017
- 1 WBOI Northeastern Indiana Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Wyoming Public Media Statewide Network, 8/3/2017
- Rhode Island Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Tri States Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- SDPB Radio, 8/3/2017
- New Hampshire Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KRWG FM New Mexico State, 8/3/2017
- org, 8/3/2017
- KRVS Radio Acadie 88.7, 8/3/2017
- KUNM, 8/3/2017
- NPR Michigan Radio, 8/3/2017
- KPBS, 8/3/2017
- KCUR Kansas City University Radio 89.3, 8/3/2017
- Kera News, 8/3/2017
- KNAU Arizona Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- KMUW Wichita 89.1, 8/3/2017
- KCBXFM Central Coast Public Radio, 8/3/2017
- Yahoo News, 8/2/2017
- Time, 8/2/2017
- Unwanted record: Biggest ever dead zone in Gulf of Mexico; The News and Observer, 8/2/2017
- Winnipeg Free Press, 8/2/2017
- The News Tribune, 8/2/2017
- The Bellingham Herald, 8/2/2017
- Belleville News-Democrat, 8/2/2017
- The Wichita Eagle, 8/2/2017
- Herald Leader, 8/2/2017
- Idaho Statements, 8/2/2017
- The Fresno Bee, 8/2/2017
- Sacramento Bee, 8/2/2017
- Santa Fe New Mexican, 8/2/2017
- Pittsburgh Tribune Review, 8/2/2017
Harmful Algal Blooms:
- Fishing in greener waters: Understanding the impact of harmful algal blooms on Lake Erie anglers, Michigan News, 9/12/2018
- Inside NOAA’s tracking of Lake Erie’s harmful algal bloom, WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 7/25/2018
- Mussel ‘spits out’ toxic microcystin, plays part in Erie algae, 13 ABC, 6/7/2018
- U.S. Rep. Dingell: I tried to sway Kasich to move faster on Lake Erie’s impairment, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- Kapszukiewicz goes after Farm Bureau, legislature at algae conference, The Blade, 5/2/2018
- LOCAL Algal blooms harder to control because of climate change, other factors, data shows, The Blade, 5/1/2018
- Testing The Waters: Specialists at U-M’s Cooperative Institute For Great Lakes Research are Getting Out of the Lab and Onto the Lakes, Enlisting Those Whose Livelihoods Depend on Clean Water, Michigan Alumnus Magazine, 3/19/2018
- Scientists launch pilot project to warn of potentially dangerous ‘meteotsunami’ waves in Great Lakes, Michigan News, 8/3/2018
- Wave Warnings: Alerts for Meteotsunamis on the Great Lakes; Great Lakes Connection / Connexion Grands Lacs, 8/4/2017
- Great Lakes tsunamis; am770, 6/27/2017 (Radio)
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; am640 The Morning Show, 6/26/2017 (Radio)
- Scientists want a tsunami warning system – for Lake Erie; The Buffalo News, 6/25/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? Researchers are looking into it; the star.com, 6/23/2017
- Eric Anderson – NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory Reseacher; WJR, 6/21/2017 (Radio)
- Believe it or not, tsunamis on the Great Lakes are frequent and can be deadly; WSBT 22, 6/21/2017
- Researchers Seek Warning System for Destructive Waves On Great Lakes; WisCONTEXT, 6/21/2017
- The little-known menace of Great Lakes tsunamis; Maclean’s, 6/21/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? It happens more often than you think; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017
- Tsunamis on the Great Lakes?; Local 4 Click on Detroit, 6/20/2017 (Television)
- Scientists want to create a warning system for freshwater tsunamis; Michigan Radio, 6/20/2017 (Radio)
- Experts seek warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis; Great Lakes Echo, 6/20/2017
- Tsunami warning system studied for Lake Michigan beaches; WZZM 13 ABC, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? They happen — sometimes with deadly results; Detroit Free Press, 6/19/2017
- Scientist Eric Anderson tells Guy Gordon about the meetings this week discussing a tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes; WJR, 6/19/2017 (Radio)
- A Tsunami warning system for the Great Lakes?; WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7, 6/19/2017 (Television)
- Great Lakes Tsunami Warning System In The Works; Detroit Patch, 6/19/2017
- Warning system for Great Lakes tsunamis under development; Mlive, 6/19/2017
- Tsunamis? On the Great Lakes? Ever seen one?; WITL 100.7, 6/19/2017
- Experts to discuss tsunami warning system for Great Lakes; Associated Press, 6/18/2017
- FOX 17 West Michigan, 6/19/2017
- WILX 10, 6/19/2017
- The Monroe News, 6/19/2017
- News Talk 94.9 WSJM, 6/19/2017
- 3 The Coast, 6/19/2017
- Cadillac News, 6/19/2017
- The Detroit News, 6/18/2017
- S. News and World Report, 6/18/2017
- Wood TV 8, 6/18/2017
- FOX 66 News Flint, 6/18/2017
- Rowe, M.D. Influence of invasive quagga mussels, phosphorus loads, and climate on spatial and temporal patterns of productivity in Lake Michigan: A biophysical modeling study. 2017. (Animations)
- GLANSIS: A ‘one-stop shop’ for information on aquatic invaders, Michigan State University Extension, 2/25/2018