Songzhi LiuProgrammer Analyst
4840 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-9719
In the News:
- New NOAA CoastWatch Product Compares Great Lakes Water Temperatures, CIGLR Summer 2020 eNews, 09/2020
- NOAA Great Lakes CoastWatch Hosts Inaugural Satellite Remote Sensing Course, CIGLR Fall 2019 eNews, 12/2019
I am the operations Manager for the CoastWatch Great Lakes Node. I have been working on satellite data for over two decades. My work is mainly focused how to transform satellite data into daily usage. To achieve this goal, I have developed multiple operational programs to receive, process, analyze, and archive the Great Lakes satellite data. I have worked with many collogues and researchers to generate the Great Lakes regional mapping products from remotely sensed data. I have designed and developed the CoastWatch Great Lakes Node website to provide near real time environmental information to support a wide range of data users including federal and state decision makers, National Weather Service, US Coast Guard, environmental researchers, shipping and the fishery industry. While continuing to develop new Great Lakes regional products, my future attention is also to provide more trainings and tutorial materials to help users better understand and utilize the products.
- M.A. Computer Science, Eastern Michigan University, 2007
- B.S. Engineering, Henan Polytechnic University, 1981
- Developed operational programs to make the satellite derived products available on the CoastWatch website. (https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/)
- Maintained and updated the CoastWatch website and regional products.
- Set up and configured the data servers (THREDDS, ERDDAP) to assist users accessing the satellite data.
- Participated in research to improve the quality of satellite data products (GLSEA).
- Developed a program to provide the new water surface temperature statistics product.
- Organized CoastWatch Great Lakes Satellite Data user training course.
- Mentored CIGLR Summer Fellow on satellite data processing.
Recent Publications and Presentations:
- CoastWatch Great lakes Node Summary: Philip Chu, Andrea VanderWoude, and Songzhi Liu. CoastWatch Virtual Annual Science Meeting, May 11-14, 2020
- CoastWatch Great lakes Node Summary: Philip Chu and Songzhi Liu. CoastWatch Annual Science Meeting, Ann Arbor, MI Apr 29-May 2, 2019
- NOAA Great Lakes CoastWatch New Data, Products and Services: Philip Chu and Songzhi Liu. 62th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Brockport NY, June 10-14, 2019
- Use Satellite Data to Monitor HABs and High-Water Levels in the Great Lakes: Philip Chu and Songzhi Liu. 2019 Annual Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA, Dec 9-13, 2019